Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Which Coastest Has the Mostest?





Haylo and welcome to my travel blog!

Fasten your seatbelt. Or not. The ride is going pretty slow with a lot of pull-overs and U-turns to take it all in.

I was living in Washington DC -- mecca to the valedictorians and hall monitors from around the globe. I had a business in integrative bodywork that was going swimmingly. What better time to jump into the great void, close up shop and take to the scenic backroads and growling highways of North America?

Now.
I determined through intricate algorithms that the best time was Now.

My father passed away unexpectedly a few months ago.  I wasn't quite sure how to access even the most superficial layer of grief I was feeling. But something told me the open road with some time in grand, expansive badlands, wheat fields and crater lakes would provide some perspective, and a tree stomp or two would be available along the way to sit and reflect, to cry and to yell my hurt into the winds.

Further, I have never done a cross country trip.  What self-proclaimed nomadic hippie reaches the age of 38 without zig-zagging the country?!

So, now I go.
The 1998 Honda CRV is packed with shit I so likely won't use.


Ride shotgun with me awhile.  Or take a nap in the back.
Just know I'm in control of the radio.

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read more. Thank you Sarah. And know that your Dad is riding with you every mile that you travel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your journey! Great writing Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep posting cousin. Will be interesting narrative as many of us will share your journey vicariously. Admire your trepidation and curiosity. Xox

    ReplyDelete